Lead acid battery technology comparisons
• Gels are priced slightly higher than AGMs, but both are roughly double the cost of flooded lead acid (FLA) units.
• Gels can have as much as double the cycle life of AGMs and usually more than FLAs.
• Gels have a flat high performance curve until depleted; AGMs and FLAs lose capacity gradually.
• AGMs & Gels are less prone to sulfation than FLAs and are not usually equalized.
• Gels do better at higher temperatures, AGMs and FLAs are better at low temperatures.
• AGMs have up to five times faster charge rate than FLAs and are also better at this than Gels.
• Gels and AGMs are more sensitive to overcharging than FLAs.
• Gels and AGMs typically have a higher rest voltage than FLAs.
• FLAs require more maintenance attention than Gels or AGMs.